Sunday, November 17, 2013

Deming, Columbus, Mexico border

Road walk to the border.  In order to make our ride home we decided to stay on the roads instead of trails as it was less miles and easy terrain.  We stopped by a farm supply store and I finally found a big sun hat ( I've been looking since the Wyoming Basin) as sometimes its too windy to use my umbrella and my visor leaves my neck exposed.  Although the scenery wasn't great we were able to keep our average up to 25+ miles a day which was great.  We got into Deming in 2 days! In Deming we stayed at a super hiker friendly motel called the Butterfield 
oStage motel.  They had a hiker box full of goodies and the owner was super friendly.  Since we made such good timing we took a zero in Deming so we wouldn't be waiting at the border for too long waiting for our ride (only 35 miles!).  After resting we got an early start and stopped on our way out to get breakfast.  From Deming to the border we saw TONS of Border Patrol which made me feel safe but also very nervous about how much cartel activity really goes on.  So we are hiking down the highway and a red truck slows down and pulls over.  The truck was tinted so I couldn't see who was inside making it even creepier.  I looked over and Kraig had his hand on his knife then the doors opened and out popped Baboon and Spins! What a relief! They had finished their triple crown earlier that day and stopped to say bye.  We continued on down the road before hitting a check point.  They had a German Shepherd out working so I stayed across the street while Kraig went to talk to them to let them know we would be camping a few miles down the road.  The k9 didn't care that Kraig had approached his handler an just stared down Grizby at the end of his leash with only his front paws off the ground, handler did nothing... We camped behind some bushes off the highway and woke up at 5am we were both so excited to finish.  We only had 11 miles to the border and were very motivated to finish. Grizby was super excited although he had no idea what was going on.  We made it to the border around 10am after quickly passing through Columbus.  We were about 50 yards from the border when Mr. Ortiz passed us.  The timing couldn't have been more perfect! We walked to the border signs took our pictures drank the crown Spins and Baboon gave us and hoped in the truck. We then had to go pick up Hinanu from Albuquerque.  We got to the kennel by 3 drank another celebratory beer then headed back to California!  We got home around 5am then I headed to LA to drop off Kraig.  By the time I got home the sun was out and I couldn't sleep.  I caught up with my family, best friend, and the Walking Dead before falling asleep at 7pm.  The trip was officially over and it felt good to be home.  The only problem is I'm already itching to go on another thru- hike... PCT or AT... I've caught the backpacking bug.

Oh Grizby...
: )
I did it!
The dog made it from border to border!
Group shot - Hinanu 

No comments:

Post a Comment